End Human Trafficking
Help Junior League of Des Moines
End Human Trafficking and Support Survivors
- On any given day, 150 children are being sex-trafficked in Iowa. During special events like the State Fair, Drake Relays, etc. that number increases by 5 times.
- Approximately 300,000 children are at risk of being prostituted in the U.S. (U.S. Dept. of Justice)
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child in the U.S. is 13-14. (U.S. Dept. of Justice)
- A pimp can make $150,000 - $200,000 per child each year. The average pimp has 4 - 6 girls. (U.S. Dept. of Justice)
- The average victim may be forced to have sex up to 20-48 times a day. (Polaris Project)
- Fewer than 100 beds are available in the U.S. for underage victims. (Health and Human Services)
- One in three teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home. (National Runaway Hotline)
This is occurring in Des Moines, in every neighborhood and school district – the same place that we live and raise families.
The Impact on Survivors:
A trafficked child is tortured, abused and manipulated. Food and other basic needs are withheld from them as a way to increase control.
Supporting Survivors of Sex Trafficking with Dorothy's House:
Junior League of Des Moines' Signature Project for 2015-2017 is a partnership with Dorothy's House, a local home campus with residential and non-residential staff who are trained to provide a safe, therapeutic, healing home environment for girls with a specific trauma/abuse profile in order to provide a customized healing solution based on the specific needs that type of trauma presents.
Dorothy's House mission is to provide a safe place for the practice of life for those teen and youth girls whose lives have been interrupted by sex trafficking and sexploitation.
Dorothy's House has a vision to provide girls a chance to recover their bodies, hearts, souls and voices with a holistic approach to services in as close to a forever home environment as possible. Learn more about Dorothy's House at www.dorothyshouse.org.
What Junior League of Des Moines is Doing:
Junior League of Des Moines is helping Dorothy's House by volunteering and funding the development of an urban garden co-op with the goal to provide girls with a work environment that teaches healthy food relationships, business and life skills that will help them be successful when they transition to independent living.
The cost to develop the urban garden co-op is $50,000 over two years and we need the support of the entire community to make this possible.
How You Can Help:
- Donate to Junior League of Des Moines with proceeds benefiting Dorothy's House.
- Participate in one of Junior League of Des Moines’ fundraisers including:
- If you see something, report it. Call the local authorities or the National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 1 (888) 373-7888.
With your help we can help survivors of sex-trafficking and raise awareness about the impact of human trafficking in Des Moines. With questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.